10 Things to Start Doing to Keep the Restaurant Industry From Ruining Your Life – Chef Chris Hill.
These are not my words but words I strongly agree with and relate to. I’ve been in the hospitality and restaurant industry for 16 years, more than half my lifetime.
One thing I have learned is that only a small percentage of restaurant workers are there by choice. We are all here for many reasons. Maybe Something went seriously wrong in their lives, maybe they can’t make it in “normal jobs”, they do it for cash and they do it well, or maybe just like it here.
Whatever your reason one thing is true of all. The restaurant business can chew you up in spit you out if you let it.
Here are the 10 Things you should start doing to keep the restaurant industry from ruining your life.
- Be Intentional and Set Goals for Yourself – “Does this job help me get closer to my goals, the “mountain” or do I now find myself further away?”
- Focus on Yourself – If you are one of my employees reading this, you should follow this one. Stop obsessing about what everyone is or isn’t doing and focus on doing the best job you can do.
- Appreciate the Other Jobs & People Around You – If you are a server…imagine walking a mile in the dishwashers shoes. The restaurant can’t function without them, yet he or she is underrated and not paid as well as you. Maybe you don’t make them work any harder than they need to.
- You are the Average of the 5 People With Whom You Spend the Most Time – make sure they are the right people.
- Don’t Just Settle For a Paycheck – “If you’re boss won’t give you more responsibility or opportunity to grow, it’s time to find someone else to work for.”
- Go Home After Work and Save Your Money.
- Keep in touch with non-industry related friends .
- Take Care of Yourself
- Don’t Lose Sight of What’s Most Important in Life.
The last three are the most important and the biggest themes of this year long project.