Happy February Everyone. What a productive month January has been. This is the time of year where most Peoples’ New Year’s Resolutions have fallen of the map. But not this guest. In January I managed to made 8 new resolutions and do an almost perfect job of keeping them everyday. Now it’s time to add 8 more to my Personal Happiness Project for February while keeping the old ones as well. If you haven’t checked out my January Resolutions. Click back to my old posts. If i haven’t said it before, the idea of crafting a year-long project about making myself happier sounds pretty selfish. But as we branch out in the upcoming months you will see that it’s almost about making others happy, which in turn will make me happy.
1. Eat a salad – Let’s face it…I’m a fat kid at heart. I love double fisting cheeseburgers and loading up on Pasta. In keeping with the “boosting my energy” theme of last month. I will attempt to pack a leafy green salad in gut at least once a day.
2. Give positive reviews – another truth to accept. As a cynical GM of a restaurant and a former “class pessimist” its hard to find nice and positive things to say throughout the day. It’s not that I’m mean. It just has become super easy to say something sarcastic…usually to get a reaction out of them. While most know that I’m kidding, I’ve been known to hurt feelings from time to time. But this month I will try to be conscious to say nice or encouraging things to my family, friends, employees, and strangers.
3. Be more diligent – a crutch of being a busy overworked manager. I have to rush sometimes. In this “haste makes wastes ” scenario I often make mistakes. I forget items on food orders, I don’t prep enough salmon, I forget to change my oil to the point my car sounds like it’s going to die of fatigue. So my hope is to slow down…look over my work. And look like I know what I’m doing.
4. Help someone – My career as a leader always has me helping people. I help and coach my staff to get better. I help them get through a busy shift. I help my wife with chores. My son with his homework. I want to continue and do more of that, but I’m looking for an opportunity to do some real good. To help someone I normally would help with something I normally wouldn’t do.
5. Remember Birthdays – Terrible at this. I can’t even remember to wish my FB friends Happy Birthday after it notifies my in the morning , let alone my own family to times
6. Act the way I want to feel – I’ve learned that when I’m feeling down, it helps to act happy to become happy again. “fake it until you make it” . In addition, People feed off of your emotions. So be acting happy I hope to boost morale not just at work but at home as well.
7. Delegate / Ask for Help – while I want to lend a helping hand more, I am also looking to seek help from others in getting things done. Delegation is the key to success and is right in the definition of what a manager. ” A manager is someone who gets things done through others”
8. Read – I hate the act of reading. Physically picking up a book at thumbing through its pages drives me crazy. I prefer to listen to books on Audible. I have over 40 books in my library but that’s not the resolution hear. “Duh…why would you resolve to read if you already have 40 books you have read” The idea is to actually read them and use them in my personal life. I often have to listen to them a few times because I don’t get all the ideas out of them because when I listen I’m usually driving, or working, or exercising.
Time to get to work.